I painted these up a bit ago. Haven’t had the chance to play the game a lot, but it’s pretty perfect: dumb, fast, evocative.
I painted these up over the summer and never posted them. So, here they are!
I chose Minimoto because it was a small faction, so it was kind of easy to just get everything and paint it (relatively) all at once.
I picked up a few Genestealer Cult models a few months back for no reason other than that they look cool. I didn’t intend to paint up a 40K army of them (nor did I) but I certainly kept the idea of playing Kill Team with them on the table (I haven’t).
They’re painted up Duncan-style, per one of the WarhammerTV video guides. I deviated a little where it came to carapace and flesh, but otherwise, there’s nothing revolutionary here.
I’ve got to say: painting these was kind of a delight. I didn’t do it for any reason other than “I felt like it.” The Citadel method’s easy and produces good results with little effort. And Games Workshop minis really are pretty great, and it feels like it’s been a while since I painted them. (Not true, I’d just painted some Adeptus Titanicus before these, but that’s a little different.)
I think I might still have one batch left (Acolyte Hybrids? and an Acolyte Iconward?) but I don’t know that I’m likely to get to it soon. And I don’t think I’m likely to pick up any more, either.
But man, it felt good to just build a box of GW minis, paint a box of GW minis. Done.
I’ve been powering through painting Monsterpocalypse and am, for the moment, fully painted. I haven’t been doing my best on them, to be honest; I’m just trying to get them painted quickly so I can play with them.
I’ve posted these guys before, but have added more units and the second Planet Eater monster since. I’m quite pleased with them; I think the colors are effective and the sharp lines of the armor really worked well with the airbrush.
I like and hate these guys. I think the color choices are strong here, but the execution is shit. I went about these guys absolutely the wrong way, and that meant they took three times longer than they should have.
I haven’t picked up the Cthul monsters yet, but the units painted up in no time at all.
I also picked up the Protectors starter. I probably won’t go further down this rabbit hole, but I’m pleased with how they came out. They’re painted Citadel-style: basecoat, wash with Agrax, clean up basecoat with same colors, highlight.
The buildings were a huge pain. Airbrushing them worked okay… except windows SUCK to paint. They are hell. The skyscraper back there looks like I was having a seizure while painting them. I finally gave up on getting them any better and just moved on.
Special shout-out to Phalanx Consortium for their Apartment Buildings. Not only were these a breeze to paint (I got to paint the windows before building them!), but they literally delivered overnight. I ordered them on a Thursday and they were in-hand that Friday.
I’ve got a bunch of stuff waiting for varnish, but I’m out. Definitely don’t want to mess around with those resin MonPoc buildings without a LOT of varnish.
Just about done blowing through my Cthul units. They’re painting stupidly fast: just a lot of waiting for wash to dry.
Kind of just killing time at this point until my Jackal Designs table gets here and I can start working on that. I’ve got everything MonPoc painted up for the Destroyers with this final batch except for the two Cthul monsters, Hammerklak, and the new buildings.
10 years ago today, I threw my first post up on this thing back when it was hosted on Blogger.
I’ve never thought Warpstone Pile was a great name, but I’d decided that a blog with not a great name was better than no blog because I could never find the best name.
Just about 6 years ago, I dumped Blogger in response to Google killing off Google Reader.
I might not post here as much as I’d like (honestly, I’d probably post more if the WordPress app photo upload feature was more reliable), but it’s still something I think about and is still going.
I bought up some MonPoc when the game first released, but didn’t get the chance to play it more than twice. I love giant monster movies, so it’s very much in my wheelhouse.
Even though I don’t expect to get the chance to really play it, I picked up a starter for the new version anyway because I like the idea of the game so much.
I painted everything I had up this past weekend. This was a speed-paint job: I did the airbrushing of the armor plates last weekend, then blew through the flesh on Sunday. It could be better, but I’m very satisfied with the effort to result ratio here.
Also, now I’ll be able to play the game (or not).
I’ve got a new phone, so a new camera, and it did weird things with colors in response to my usual backdrop. I took these in front of the white, and they came out more true, but still weird.
Work to be done, clearly.
Not much going on here. The armor is:
- GW Stegadon Green
- GW Thunderhawk Blue
- VMC Dark Blue Grey
- VMC Blue Grey Pale
Everything airbrushed on going for contrast save the Blue Grey Pale, which was edged on with a brush. I also inked in around mouths with thinned GW Incubi Darkness
The flesh is lazy; just trying to not draw the eye away from the armor:
- VMC Dark Grey
- GW Stormvermin Fur
- VMC Neutral Grey
- GW Dawnstone
All drybrushed on.
Ground out a bunch of Monsterpocalypse over the weekend, and I’ve got a couple of Genestealer Cultists that I’m working though to cleanse the palette.