I’m done painting the two Warlords and six Knights that came in the Grandmaster box.
The only thing remaining is basing them; I normally don’t count a model as ‘done’ until it’s based (because it’s not!) but I’ve spent something like 3 weeks working on these guys, and basing is held up while I strip some Epic-scale models I picked up off of eBay (I got a couple of Rhinos and Guardsmen). Also, they’re finally playable!
Any Reaver acquisition is on-hold until I’ve gotten some play in with them.
When they’re based, I’ll get them into the lightbox; really need to break that thing out because from the looks of it… I’ve painted about three dozen Infinity models that I haven’t photographed – in the lead up to NOVA, I painted a few Nomad models to get my ready and then painted almost the entire ISS sectorial.
I was worried that these had come out too dark; I think they did but not quite so badly that I’m frustrated by them.
I’m done for the night, but after this, I’ll do a little chipping (if only to cover up some messiness) and maybe a liiiiitle weathering.
Then I’ll have to figure out how to base them then on to the Knights.
The time to crunch for NOVA is at hand.
I’m currently working on a couple of remotes: Tsyklons and general-purpose remotes.
These are the models I want to have done before the con: the Yu Jing S5 remotes, some ALEPH models to use with ISS, and a couple of random Nomad models that will be useful.
I’ve been working on stuff, just not photographing it. Had to pull the lightbox yesterday out to demo how to use it, so I got the chance to photograph a couple of the things I’ve done in the last few weeks that came out pretty well.
McMurrough came out pretty well. In retrospect, I wish I’d pushed the kilt farther (it wasn’t challenging at all). The sword isn’t what I’d like it to be, but it was a learning experience. I’m sick of the half-assed treatment I give weapons in Infinity, and this is a step in the right direction.
I’m painting Dark Age, I guess. I’m actually pretty happy with how these came out, even though I’m frustrated by the low-quality of the metal in the metal figures and improved material but drastically worse casts of the plastic versions that came in the starter.
I painted up most of the Yu Jing side of Red Veil (I pushed off the Ninja, so it’s effectively just the Yu Jing starter box).
The effort took me, I think, just about a week. There are some things I’d prefer to have done better: I’m still not sure how I feel about the black cloth, nor about how to differentiate the black cloth from the black hair, and I’m still only in the earliest of stages of figuring out how I can paint Asian flesh… but it’s a start.
I’m happy with the yellow-on-black, though: I’m starting ISS in our local Infinity league, and since they’re on the baddie side of the scale, I like the idea of them looking like wasps. That coloration is probably going to continue to guide my color choices for Yu Jing going forward. Of course, given that I’m running ISS in the league, I get to use one (1) of these figures (the Hsien).
I posted about making Tokens a couple of weeks back: the ultimate motivator for that was someone posting about making a bunch of custom Metachemistry tokens for their Morlocks (I wish I could find the post, but I can’t).
They were cool.
But. There are 17 different options across the two MetaChemistry charts (12 & 5, respectively), and buddy Morlocks are AVA Total. If you want to do the same thing for Booty, you’re looking at 35 different options across the two Booty charts (17 & 18, respectively).
That’s too many flipping tokens to cart around for one model, never mind something I might take 2 or more of.
Solution (and maybe reference that Token post if you need to):
- Take a sheet of paper. Laminate it (Laminators are, like, $20 on Amazon).
- Use your 1″ craft circle punch to punch out a few circles.
- Stick on a clear bottlecap sticker so you can actually pick the token up.
- When you make your MetaChemistry or Booty roll, use a wet-erase marker to scribble what the result is on the laminated token.
This way, instead of having to keep 85 tokens in your token case because you’re running a handful of Morlocks, you just need to keep the 5.
If you’re really sassy, actually make tokens that say “Booty” and “MetaChemistry” on the one side, laminate that, and cover the fancy side with the bottlecap sticker and write on the backside of it.
I’m working on filling out some StarCo options.
The NOVA Open Charitable Foundation raffle I was able to help Dave Taylor out with went live yesterday!
It’s a 6 point Viking warband for Saga from Gripping Beast, packed in a KR Multicase, and shipped anywhere in the world to the winner. Only $5 a ticket, benefitting Doctors without Borders.
More information and directions on how to purchase tickets can be found on the NOCF page.
If this is your thing, it could be your thing, so try to make it your thing!
I painted up the Shadespire Skaven over the weekend: I want to give them a try, and there’s no excuse for me to be playing anything in Shadespire unpainted.
It only took about a day and a half’s hobby time. I don’t think they’re particularly noteworthy: just servicable Skaven.
I painted them up with my old approach to Skaven, but with a few differences:
- I went with a pink, pale flesh instead of the yellowed flesh I used to use; I really like this.
- The red turned out much brighter than it used to, I clearly don’t remember how I used to do it, but I don’t know where I went different.
- The grey turned out alright, even though I used VMC and not GW paints