I painted these up a bit ago. Haven’t had the chance to play the game a lot, but it’s pretty perfect: dumb, fast, evocative.
I painted these up over the summer and never posted them. So, here they are!
I chose Minimoto because it was a small faction, so it was kind of easy to just get everything and paint it (relatively) all at once.
I painted up the better part of the OSSS starter from Operation Coldfront in the final days before NOVA so that I’d have coverage for the ALEPH support options for the Imperial Service. Not the whole thing, just the Dakini and Garuda (which I’d had for a bit) and the Shukra to stand in as a Sophotect.
Somehow, even though I got these things in the lightbox, I never got around to posting them here.
I painted these mostly with airbrush paints brushed on. The GW airbrush paints have great coverage with great flow. I also tried to push up the contrast on these with the black metallic parts. I don’t know that it was super-effective, but it’s progress.
I’m done painting the two Warlords and six Knights that came in the Grandmaster box.
The only thing remaining is basing them; I normally don’t count a model as ‘done’ until it’s based (because it’s not!) but I’ve spent something like 3 weeks working on these guys, and basing is held up while I strip some Epic-scale models I picked up off of eBay (I got a couple of Rhinos and Guardsmen). Also, they’re finally playable!
Any Reaver acquisition is on-hold until I’ve gotten some play in with them.
When they’re based, I’ll get them into the lightbox; really need to break that thing out because from the looks of it… I’ve painted about three dozen Infinity models that I haven’t photographed – in the lead up to NOVA, I painted a few Nomad models to get my ready and then painted almost the entire ISS sectorial.
I’ve been working on stuff, just not photographing it. Had to pull the lightbox yesterday out to demo how to use it, so I got the chance to photograph a couple of the things I’ve done in the last few weeks that came out pretty well.
McMurrough came out pretty well. In retrospect, I wish I’d pushed the kilt farther (it wasn’t challenging at all). The sword isn’t what I’d like it to be, but it was a learning experience. I’m sick of the half-assed treatment I give weapons in Infinity, and this is a step in the right direction.
I’m painting Dark Age, I guess. I’m actually pretty happy with how these came out, even though I’m frustrated by the low-quality of the metal in the metal figures and improved material but drastically worse casts of the plastic versions that came in the starter.
It’s been a while since I had the lightbox out, so while photographing the first of my Yu Jing, I took the chance to photograph some of the random figures I’ve painted since the last time I had it out.
Nothing fancy: just some assorted Nomads and models used by StarCo, with results that range from “satisfying” to “well, at least they’re painted.”
I painted up most of the Yu Jing side of Red Veil (I pushed off the Ninja, so it’s effectively just the Yu Jing starter box).
The effort took me, I think, just about a week. There are some things I’d prefer to have done better: I’m still not sure how I feel about the black cloth, nor about how to differentiate the black cloth from the black hair, and I’m still only in the earliest of stages of figuring out how I can paint Asian flesh… but it’s a start.
I’m happy with the yellow-on-black, though: I’m starting ISS in our local Infinity league, and since they’re on the baddie side of the scale, I like the idea of them looking like wasps. That coloration is probably going to continue to guide my color choices for Yu Jing going forward. Of course, given that I’m running ISS in the league, I get to use one (1) of these figures (the Hsien).
I painted up the Shadespire Skaven over the weekend: I want to give them a try, and there’s no excuse for me to be playing anything in Shadespire unpainted.
It only took about a day and a half’s hobby time. I don’t think they’re particularly noteworthy: just servicable Skaven.
I painted them up with my old approach to Skaven, but with a few differences:
- I went with a pink, pale flesh instead of the yellowed flesh I used to use; I really like this.
- The red turned out much brighter than it used to, I clearly don’t remember how I used to do it, but I don’t know where I went different.
- The grey turned out alright, even though I used VMC and not GW paints
Finished the gangers; here they are.
They turned out pretty well, I think. I used the Warhammer TV painting guide because I didn’t really want to think through how to paint them.
I went a little off-script in painting a couple of them black: I’m still not happy with my approach to African skin, but I’m not going to dial in on one that works great unless I keep trying. I also painted their eyes, and toned their faces, ’cause that’s what I do. Finally, I gave a couple of them some tattoos.
I regret not drilling out their weapon barrels. I normally do that, didn’t, and I think they suffer for it. At least, I’ll have to go back in and dot some black barrel holes on them, I guess. It also wouldn’t kill me to go in and freehand some stuff in white on the red armor.